Imran Khan dismissed the news of talks with the government as rumours
Photo: File
ISLAMABAD: Imran Khan dismissed the news of talks with the government as rumours, while on the other hand, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif claimed that a month ago Imran Khan had requested for talks.
Earlier, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif told in a meeting in Lahore and later in a conversation with Vloggers that Imran Khan had rejected the offer of negotiations through a third party.
Shahbaz Sharif said that Imran Khan had proposed to give three names on his behalf for the elections and the appointment of Army Chief and suggested that the government should suggest three names.
He said that the PTI chairman’s request was rejected because the government will decide to hold the elections on time and the appointment of the army chief is the power of the prime minister and there is no need to discuss it with him.
Amid Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s (PTI) anti-government long march to Islamabad, reports of backdoor talks between the government and opposition party emerged on Sunday evening in which party chief Imran Khan reportedly will himself participate.
Even though both government and PTI were officially denying any talks but insiders in the opposition party told English newspaper ,The Express Tribune that talks have begun between the two parties regarding the long march.
They said that Imran Khan left for Lahore from Kala Shah Kaku where the march had reached. If sources are to be believed, a big political breakthrough is expected during the crucial meeting tonight.
Sources said that due to the importance of the meeting, Imran Khan will himself participate in it, adding that the PTI chief had informed the senior party leaders about the all-important meeting.
For all those spreading rumours about my mtg in Lahore, the reason we returned was bec Lahore was closer & we had already decided not move at night. The only demand I have had for 6 mths is date for early fair & free elections. That will be the ONLY demand if talks are to be held
— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) October 29, 2022
As per PTI’s schedule, the long march would have culminated at Kamoke tonight but it abruptly ended when it reached some distance from Ferozwala.
Chairman pti Imran khan responded,Taking to Twitter, however, Imran Khan denied “rumours” about the meeting in Lahore. “The reason we returned was bec[ause] Lahore was closer & we had already decided not [to] move at night,” he added.
“The only demand I have had for 6 m[on]ths is date for early fair & free elections. That will be the ONLY demand if talks are to be held,” he clarified.
Earlier in the day, Minister for Information and Broadcasting Marriyum Aurangzeb had categorically ruled out any negotiations with those who were giving calls of a “bloody march”.
As routine, In a statement, she said that Imran Khan “does not want transparent elections but chaos and bloodshed in the country”. “Real face of Imran Khan, his politics of lies and fake character have been exposed,” she added.